Theme: Seasons of Life
Scripture: Ephesians 5:22-33, Ephesians 6:1-4, 1 Corinthians 13:4-13, Genesis 2:21-24, Exodus 20:12
“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.”Exodus 20:12
How are you doing?
Our world looks quite different today then twenty years ago regarding marriage and parenting. Many millennials are delaying marriage until their careers are established or delaying marriage altogether.
Many people, not just the twenty or thirty-somethings are opting to choose living together versus marrying so they don’t have to go through a painful divorce when things don’t work.
The “try before you buy” mentality is much more prevalent today then it was even twenty years ago. It is more accepted practice, and that has even flowed down into the church.
Parenting also looks different today. There is a higher rate of adoption than ever before in our history. Also, due to the high rate of divorce you have many more blended families and with it comes family baggage
All this to say, the traditional family we knew during “The Leave It To Beaver” era is mostly gone.
I want to do my best to help us navigate this marriage and parenting discussion as best I can as a single, never been married male with no kids. There are a few truths that govern each of us whether single or married, but I recognize that our background stories are diverse.
Some, like me, have never been married and no kids. Others are part of the traditional family with kids, while others have divorce in their background
I am looking forward to our discussion of marriage & parenting in this new era.
- How does marriage & parenting look different today, than 10-50 years ago?
- What are the roles & actions do husbands and wives have based on scripture? (Eph. 5:22-33) How do they differ today & where did we go wrong?
- Do you think we (or the world) go into marriage like it is a short-term investment or a long-term commitment? How do we, as the church, help people view marriage the way God sees it?
- What does it mean “to honor your father and mother”? (Eph. 6:1-4, Ex. 12:20)
- How do you parent adult kids differently than kids that are still under the age of 18?
- Tim & Ceci Ramsey (Missionaries)
- Office Staff